Wednesday 15 January 2014

Winter nightcap: mulled cider




The moment we step into the new year there is an urgency to start everything on a fresh slate. I however have been struggling to get into any kind of active zone right now. Its been a combination of events, a very hectic holiday season, my pets been sick and a very close family member passed away suddenly. Being so far away from home makes you feel a bit helpless at times like this so I have turned to baking with a vengeance. But before I post my baking recipes, I want to share a something a bit more familiar and comforting : mulled cider. Technically, mulled wine or cider is more of a holiday drink and I don't deny that I guzzled quite a few glassful down at christmas parties but I like it most at bedtime while reading a book. This version has been supplied by the much maligned domestic goddess of this tiny island, Ms. Nigella Lawson and is part of her spectacular Nigella's Christmas series. I made a couple of tweaks to it keeping in mind taste and pantry provisions but the bulk of it remains the same. Do bear in mind that different ciders give different flavour. If you are using something like Kingston cider, reduce the level of sugar as this cider is very very sweet. Something like Stella gives a more appley tang which I like. So without much ado, here goes:

Ingredients
Cinnamon stick (I used a whole stick)
Cloves (a couple)
Cardamom pods (I use the green ones not the black, in other words the choti elachi)
Apple cider (1 bottle)
Brown sugar (3 tablespoon)
Rum (a generous Patiala peg)
Clementine (halved with tops studded with a clove)
Bay leaf (I use the indian variety because I have it in my pantry)
Tea (1 big mug of Lady Grey which mirrors the orange flavour, the original recipe uses apple infusion tea)

Method

I brew the tea separately in a mug and tip it into a pan along with the sugar and the spices. To this spiced tea I add the juice of a squeezed clementine and the shell with its studded clove. This adds to the orangey flavour that we are going for. I then add the cider and rum to the pan and after the fizz settles down, I bring the liquid to a gentle boil. And thats it. Done. Now all you have to do is pour it into mugs, take to bed, get under duvet and curl your toes around a hot water bottle. A good night's sleep guaranteed.


No comments:

Post a Comment